Saturday 27 June 2009

Friday, April 6th, 2007

I've been to the prestigious London School of Samba (where everyone of all ages and all levels are welcome) a couple of times now. I thought my debut Samba performance would be at the Notting Hill Carnival in 5 years' time. Little did I know that fate had it waiting for me in the early hours of this morning, behind the doors of an underground club called Pepe's in the middle of Soho. Pepe's magically appears at closing time and can only be seen by those who are blessed with the rhythm of the night and lots of mojitos.

Stepping through the entrance is like entering a cave in Latin America, where a mass of people are dancing, drumming, shouting arriba(!) and rolling the r's with their tongues. The only way you could move through the thong of people was to shake those hips the samba way. I realised my hips don't lie, as they told everyone I was crap at samba, but in the midst of the mambo mayhem and the sexy smiles I really didn't care. Arriba arriba!!

No comments:

Post a Comment